This Blog Has Moved!

I moved my blog on New Years Day, 2010. If you haven't come to see my new blog, head on over HERE now. This blog will be available for archive reading but I won't be posting here anymore. I hope you'll join me at my new bloggy home!

p.s. I am slowly but surely moving all the blogs I follow over to the new blog, so if I haven't come to visit you for a while, my advice is to leave a comment on my new blog, so I don't miss you in the shuffle!

About Me

My photo
I am a bereaved mother and wife. I began this blog to help me look for the "good things" in life after my daughter, "Babybear", died in July 2005. Three years later, her daddy, my husband, "Bear", died in November 2008. (You'll find a link to their stories on my blog) And now, as difficult as it is, I continue to look for the good things in my life as I learn my new normal with my pup, "Furrybear", at my side. And the angels on my shoulder...

Friday, April 4, 2008

Pregnant Man

*Disclaimer: This is NOT a religious discussion, however, some people may have strong religious viewpoints in regards to this topic. If you would like to discuss the religious or moral aspects of this topic, please feel free to post an entry in your own blog.*

I was flipping through the channels yesterday and I saw a headline on one of the news stations about a pregnant man. Yes, you heard me right, a MAN who is pregnant! I continued to flip through the channels and Oprah's show came on and you guessed it, she was interviewing this pregnant man!

So, I began to watch it. (You can see some of the highlights on her website HERE) When Oprah first announces that this MAN is pregnant, the entire audience gasped and mouths dropped to the ground. How is this possible?!

Soon it was revealed that the man, Thomas, was once upon a time a woman named Tracey. He is transgendered, but still had the reproductive system of a woman. Without going into the whole "is it ethical to change your gender?" topic, I am just trying to figure out why this is considered a medical marvel. While Thomas is a man now, he was once a woman, and the reproductive system was naturally there. A naturally-born male becoming pregnant would be more of a shock.

Don't get me wrong, I don't have anything for nor against Thomas (as a man) having a baby. As a bereaved mom, I know many parents who would do nearly anything within legal and moral limits, to have a child. Thomas and his wife, they seem like they are nice people, and perhaps that's all that really matters. I guess I am just baffled at the "medical miracle" aspect of this, how exactly is this a miracle if he (as Tracey) was born with the parts?

8 comments:

Jo said...

I agree Ter... it's not a miracle that someone who is biologically female and has female "parts" is pregnant. The fact that she's been living her life as a man doesn't change the fact that she has a uterus for growing a baby in.

I'd like to know how he's going to deliver?

Jo

Teri said...

Ter - we were discussing this on my online IF support group, as well...we don't understand what all the hype is about since "he" really isn't a "he" anyway. Now "he" does have male "anatomy" from what I understand, because when s/he took testosterone, the external female organs began morphing into a male organ...but regardless, biologically speaking, we are still dealing with a woman...

Oh, and by the way...my most recent blog post was 5 things about me from 10 years ago...so no, I didn't graduate 5 years ago :) LOL - I had another blog friend who was confused by that as well! :)

Take care!

Dawn said...

It's a strange situation but not a medical miracle. The strangest thing about it is he's going to look like a pregnant man walking around from the outside, but inside he is still definitely a she. I wonder if he'll breastfeed.

Shea said...

That's what I've been thinking. What's so miraculous about a biological woman getting pregnant? I think it has more of a freak show aspect. Eww look at the "man" who is pregnant! I hope they are being compensated in some way for their appearances.

Jennifer @ Fruit of My Hands said...

Thank you! This is what I've been screaming...

Jennifer @ Fruit of My Hands said...

Oh-dawn I don't think he can breastfeed, he had his breasts surgically removed.

Quinn said...

I agree, not so much a medical mystery or miracle. I can see why this couple chose to do this as his wife can not have children. But I also have some mixed feelings on the situation.

Anonymous said...

I agree completely. So annoying that they make a huge media story out of something that isn't unusual at all - except that SHE has both parts.