This Blog Has Moved!

I moved my blog on New Years Day, 2010. If you haven't come to see my new blog, head on over HERE now. This blog will be available for archive reading but I won't be posting here anymore. I hope you'll join me at my new bloggy home!

p.s. I am slowly but surely moving all the blogs I follow over to the new blog, so if I haven't come to visit you for a while, my advice is to leave a comment on my new blog, so I don't miss you in the shuffle!

About Me

My photo
I am a bereaved mother and wife. I began this blog to help me look for the "good things" in life after my daughter, "Babybear", died in July 2005. Three years later, her daddy, my husband, "Bear", died in November 2008. (You'll find a link to their stories on my blog) And now, as difficult as it is, I continue to look for the good things in my life as I learn my new normal with my pup, "Furrybear", at my side. And the angels on my shoulder...

Wednesday, May 21, 2008

The Quote In My Subtitle

When I created this blog, I wanted a subtitle to reflect what this blog is about. I thought this line from a poem suited quite well as this is "what comes next".

Today, I would like to share the entire poem. It comes from a book called "Bittersweet...hellogoodbye: A Resource in Planning Farewell Rituals When A Baby Dies".

A Song for Daniel, Stillborn
by Jean Felice Eilbert (his mother)
When I held you in my arms that day
Born so still, born anyway
How was I to know to say goodbye?
No one knew just what to do
Except tell me I'd get over you
As if forgetting makes it all untrue -- a lie
But I remember to remember
I can't forget just to forget
Your memories are a part of me
Connecting me to what comes next.
And even after all this while
I think of you, sometimes I smile
Memories of my unknown child, fade slow.
I've held you in my heart each day
Life so short, life anyway
Memories are meant to say hello.

4 comments:

Scribbit said...

We have some friends who are coming up on a year anniversary for the birth of their stillborn daughter and I've been thinking much about them. Hard day to remember.

Sarah Coggins said...

Wow. Thanks for sharing the full poem. Truly moving.

Jo said...

Thanks for the poem, Ter. I like the line "I can't forget just to forget"... even though so many people expect us to.

I talked with Shelley this week while I was there and SHE doesn't think I am grieving in an unhealthy way... she says I don't dwell on Lilly... and that I am not sad all the time.

So the folks who keep telling me such horrible things I say "ppffftttbbbbtttt".

HUGS to you! Thank you again for sharing the poem :)

Jo

Quinn said...

Thank-you for sharing it Ter. It is a beautiful poem.