This Blog Has Moved!

I moved my blog on New Years Day, 2010. If you haven't come to see my new blog, head on over HERE now. This blog will be available for archive reading but I won't be posting here anymore. I hope you'll join me at my new bloggy home!

p.s. I am slowly but surely moving all the blogs I follow over to the new blog, so if I haven't come to visit you for a while, my advice is to leave a comment on my new blog, so I don't miss you in the shuffle!

About Me

My photo
I am a bereaved mother and wife. I began this blog to help me look for the "good things" in life after my daughter, "Babybear", died in July 2005. Three years later, her daddy, my husband, "Bear", died in November 2008. (You'll find a link to their stories on my blog) And now, as difficult as it is, I continue to look for the good things in my life as I learn my new normal with my pup, "Furrybear", at my side. And the angels on my shoulder...

Saturday, November 7, 2009

Follower of the Month - Jacquelyn

November's Follower of the Month is Jacquelyn from Broken Angel. Jacquelyn's blog is dedicated to her precious son Trevor who lived for 22 minutes. I have not had an opportunity to get to know Jacquelyn very well so when she raised her virtual hand to be my Follower of the Month, I thought it would be a great chance to get to know her a little bit more.

And now, here's Jacquelyn:


1. What’s your name?
My name is Jacquelyn Woods; my friends and family call me Jackie, Jax, Jac, etc.
2. Tell us a little bit about you.
Well, I’m a 24-year-old young lady from Rhode Island, USA. The smallest state in the union! I grew up mostly in Warwick, Rhode Island and now live in a town here called South Kingstown. I am the mother of a beautiful Angel in Heaven; his name is Trevor Michael A., and he’ll be five this month. He was born on November 22, 2004 (11/22), at 11:22 PM, at 22 weeks gestation, and lived for 22 minutes. Needless to say, 11:22 and 22 alone are significant numbers to me. Trevor’s father is no longer in my life, for various reasons. I’ve been living on my own for almost two years now. This weekend (Nov. 1st), I will be moving into a new apartment with a good friend of mine, hoping to save money on rent for both of us. I’m currently single, and have only really been in one semi-serious relationship since the end of my five-and-a-half year relationship with Trevor’s father. My passions are music (my favorites include Hanson, Rolling Stones, Evanescence, Taylor Swift, my brother/friends’ up-and-coming band, NFP [Neurosis From Pillory], and in general rock, country and some Christian/worship), spending time with friends and family, TV/movies, and my newest obsession is the Twilight series. I am a newly devoted Christian; though my faith is something I’m still getting a grip on. I have learned that the only way to get through something is to take it one day at a time. I’ve learned to expect good and bad days; and I’ve learned, most of all, that everyone needs someone, sometimes.
3. When did you start blogging, and why?
I started blogging in April of this year. I began my blog, because until then my son was almost a secret. Trevor’s father wanted nothing to do with honoring his memory. I was young, scared, and did what I was told when he decided we would never talk about our son. Then, I told my best friend about him and I felt like a thousand-pound weight had been lifted off of my shoulders. I met another young woman at church who has also lost her son to premature birth complications. She told me about her blog, and from then on out I was hooked! It was such a relief to be able to share my feelings with others who have been in my situation. I haven’t stopped blogging since!
4. Tell us a bit about your blog(s).
My blog is dedicated to Trevor Michael’s life and memory. I named my blog Broken Angel, for various reasons. I originally got the idea from a song by Hanson, by the same name, “Broken Angel”. The song has always reminded me of Trevor (I will link to lyrics in question # 6), because of the struggle there. I’m not sure that this song was written about a child lost; in fact, it’s probably about something all together different, but I interpret it to mean something to my son and I. My son is what one would consider, a Broken Angel, in a way. The idea originally was that the Angel in me died along with Trevor, so I was left broken, as well. Not every single post on my blog has been about my son; but the principle of my blogging experience has always been for him. I’m no professional blogger, but I am in love with my page layout and I think my Little Man would be proud of his Mama.
5. Has blogging changed you or your outlook on life at all?
Absolutely! I was never one for forming online relationships of any kind. But, as soon as I saw (and felt) the love and support between other bloggers and myself, it was hard to ignore. I have never felt more understood, or more comfortable being honest about my mistakes, my feelings, or my beautiful baby boy. Until I began blogging, I didn’t think the death of your child was something you were “allowed” to talk about. Many of the women in my family have lost children/miscarried; and no one ever speaks of it. Trevor’s father also thought it was a horrible idea to talk about our son. I just assumed the death of a baby was something taboo, like people didn’t talk about it. I understand that the world is still naïve about the subject. But in the blog world, there are testimonies, pictures, dedications, and support on all ends of the spectrum. I feel like my son makes me PART of something, for once, instead of making me different and odd. My fellow Baby Lost Mamas and Daddies have made me proud and confident about honoring my son’s life. Trevor went from a taboo subject in the back of my mind, to the most open, important thing about me. He defines part of me now; and I’m glad.
6. Link us to 1-3 of your favorite posts from your own blog.
  • First, I’ll start with this post: - It’s titled “How My Angel Earned His Wings”. It’s sad, graphic at times, but brutally honest. It was my first post ever, and it tells the story of my son, his father, and myself.
  • Second, The Secret Garden Meeting - September is the post including the lyrics to the song “Broken Angel”, as promised above.
  • My third and final favorite is definitely this post: Inspired - because it illustrates that I've realized before how awesome this blog world is!

7. Link us to 1-3 of your favorite fellow bloggers.
  • First and foremost, there is JACLYN @ Simply Reminisce. She is the above-mentioned friend who I met at church. Really, the person who taught me to open up about Trevor. She’s the reason I found the blogging world at all.
  • Second is KAYLEIGH’S STORY. When I began following this blog, sweet Kayleigh was in the NICU, battling with many complications. Her story inspired me from the moment I laid eyes on her. Kayleigh recently went to be with God in Heaven; and we all miss her, but know she is in a better place. I have learned a lot from her parents’ posts, and I still follow what the family is up to now. There are always inspirational words found on these pages!
  • Thirdly, I would have linked to With An Angel On My Shoulder…but you’re already here! So you already know how inspiring this blog is!
8. How did you come to be a follower of mine, and why do you follow me?
I have a tendency to browse other people’s blog lists, looking for blogs that spark my interest. I don’t know through whose blog I found your page, but as soon as I read your story, my heart went out to you. Of course, you could relate to how I feel about losing a precious baby. Besides all of that mushy stuff…I have yet to be bored by your blog! I love that you share all of your crafts and activities with us. It’s so much fun, and a good break sometimes in the usually full-of-emotion blogs I read. I love this follower-of-the-month idea; and I’m also on the list for Patches the Bear! Your honesty and down-to-earth attitude is also a big plus.
9. What, if anything, have you gained from reading my blog?
First off, the loss of your daughter was a great loss for you; and that is the place in which we can most relate. But also, the loss of your husband of course, breaks my heart. I obviously could never imagine what you feel about him. The closest I have come to your loss was losing my best friend, Jordan, in high school to leukemia. For sure, I can’t even begin to understand your loss here, but I will tell you what kept me the most interested in your blog: your perseverance. I thought, if you are surviving not only the loss of a child like me, but also the loss of your spouse…then I would have to survive, as well. There were days when I would feel like giving up; felt like losing my mind. But then I think, there are people out there (you especially) who have been through far worse than I have, and have come out much, much stronger than me. So in a way, you’ve given me some of my strength to move on…and thank you for that.

10 Tell me the truth, you’re going to brag to all your bloggy friends that you were my follower-of-the-month, aren’t you? ;-)
Of course! As soon as it posts, I will be bragging about it on my own page! Thanks again for the opportunity!

**********

Thank you for being my Follower of the Month, Jacquelyn! It has been great getting to know you a little bit more and learning more about your blogging history. Everyone, be sure to go say Hi to Jacquelyn over at her blog!

If you're here from Jacquelyn's blog, please drop a line so I know you were here and so I can come say hi to you!


If you are one of my followers and would like to be a Follower of the Month, be sure to let me know!


4 comments:

Mike said...

Ter, You do some really great things to help people, I am so impressed!

Anonymous said...

Nice to meet you Jac!

Jodi said...

What a nice idea, Ter! I'd like to be a follower o'the month!!! :)

Jenners said...

It was nice to get to know Jackie -- I'm so happy that blogging has been a good outlet for her to find others who have suffered a loss of a child.

And I'm wondering if she would like to join me in my never-ending campaign to get Ter to read the Twilight books!!!!????