This Blog Has Moved!

I moved my blog on New Years Day, 2010. If you haven't come to see my new blog, head on over HERE now. This blog will be available for archive reading but I won't be posting here anymore. I hope you'll join me at my new bloggy home!

p.s. I am slowly but surely moving all the blogs I follow over to the new blog, so if I haven't come to visit you for a while, my advice is to leave a comment on my new blog, so I don't miss you in the shuffle!

About Me

My photo
I am a bereaved mother and wife. I began this blog to help me look for the "good things" in life after my daughter, "Babybear", died in July 2005. Three years later, her daddy, my husband, "Bear", died in November 2008. (You'll find a link to their stories on my blog) And now, as difficult as it is, I continue to look for the good things in my life as I learn my new normal with my pup, "Furrybear", at my side. And the angels on my shoulder...

Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Book Review: The Memory Keeper's Daughter



The Memory Keeper's Daughter by Kim Edwards.

One winter night in 1964, Dr. David Henry delivers his own twins. Upon realizing the second twin, a daughter, had Down's Syndrome, Dr. Henry makes a decision that forever shapes the future of his family. He hands the little girl to his nurse and tells her to take her away to an institution. He then tells his wife that their daughter has died during birth.

While his wife grieves for her daughter, the nurse, Caroline, decides to go away and raise this child as her own.

The story follows both Caroline and the Henry's over the next 20 years, and how this one night, this one decision, changed them all in very profound ways.

Conclusion:

I enjoyed this book, but also found myself emotionally relating, in particular to Norah Henry, who believes her child has died.

(I have heard that this book has been made into a movie, but I can't find it on zip.ca.)

8 comments:

Kristina P. said...

It was actually made into a Lifetime movie. It was on yesterday. I think in the movie, there is just one baby.

amber said...

I read this book. I read it quickly, but it was just okay for me.

Anonymous said...

This movie was on lifetime and in it they give birth to 2 kids, but the girl has Down Syndrome so the dad sends her away. The mom thinks her daughter has died while she raises their twin son.

Excellent movie :)

Anonymous said...

My mom gave me this book awhile ago but I haven't read it yet. I actually had no idea this is what it was about.

Unknown said...

i never read the book, but saw the movie and it was very good. it is on lifetime quite frequently.

Liz Mays said...

I read it and it really, really got to me. I couldn't forget about it for weeks.

Jenners said...

I read this a while ago and was just so shocked at the choices the father made. It was a well-done book but haunting. And I think it was made into a TV movie (Lifetime perhaps? Hallmark??) so you might want to look there.

~~Mel~~ said...

Sounds like a disturbing yet interesting plot.